Sunday, January 15, 2012

Gospel of John Bible Study (14:12-14) Part 1


Blessings to you delightful readers!!  Hope you’ve had a great week and that the Lord is speaking to your heart about just how much He loves you!!  We are continuing the Gospel of John Bible Study here because Our Daily Bread Designs forum is still experiencing technical difficulties. For those that may be new to this, I take a few verses at a time and we examine them and then, Lord willing, we put them into application in every day life, so that we bear fruit that glorifies the Lord.  I trust and pray that you are growing close to the Lord Jesus!

John 14:12-14  “He Who Believes in Me”  (Part 1)
"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father.  And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in My name, I will do it.”

The first two words in the text should get those spiritual antennae tingling!  When we find this (translated also: Verily, verily or truly, truly) it should clue us in to an important doctrine that Jesus wants us to get!  So let’s look at what Jesus desires to teach us through His Holy Spirit.  Just a bit of a warning, this may rock a few boats but that’s okay!  The Word says “let God be true but every man a liar” (Romans 3:4)
He who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father.

My hope is to share this as sound doctrine because there are two extremes that I’ve seen in the Body of Christ.  I believe I’m sharing this “rightly divided” so that we as believers can experience God’s power working through us to a lost world, for the Lord’s glory.
Let us first look at “the works that I do…”  What are some of the works that Jesus did? He healed the sick, cleansed the leper, cast out demons, and raised the dead.  What were the signs that Jesus said would follow those who believed?

 Mark 16:17-18 “And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
Matthew 28:18-20 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.  Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen.

Further reading: Acts 5:13-16; Romans 15:18-19; Hebrews 2:3-4;
We also must understand that it will not be more sensational or monumental works that the Body of Christ will do. But it will be a greater quantity since Jesus is with the Father.  In the next lesson we will see that the Holy Spirit is given to every believer. Plus, we were all given a measure of faith (Romans 12:3) and yet Jesus had faith without measure and limited Himself on earth, to the lost children of Israel.  We are ministering to whosoever!  Thus the greater works!   Further reference: John 13:16

So we have instruction (Most assuredly,  I say to you,…) from Jesus, on how to proceed after He leaves (remember in the first few verses of this chapter, Let not your heart be troubled) he tells us to “ask in My name”.  So we must humble ourselves and go to His throne of grace and ask what we will, so that the Father will be glorified! 
The goal of answered prayer should not be from selfish, self-centered desires but to bring glory to the Father.  Don’t we often get our priorities royally messed up in this?  I know I am certainly guilty of acting like the spoiled child of the King!  And yet, in spite of our childish behavior, most assuredly, He loves us!

This week let’s work on getting to know the nature of God so that we can ask according to His will. A little hint: the more you get to know the Word of God, the more you’ll understand His nature and His desire for good to those who believe.
Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.  1 John 5:14-15

Affectionately,

Natalie

P.S. please keep me lifted up in prayer for this study!


Photobucket




No comments:

Post a Comment